1. How does the school know that my child needs additional help?

The SEN team at Callerton will have met with your child’s feeder/previous school and collected information regarding their special educational needs.


2. What should I do if I think my child may have special  educational needs?

You should contact the school and ask to speak to the SENCO. The SENCO at Callerton Academy is called Miss Robinson.


3. How will the school support my child? 

A member of the SEN team will coordinate the support for your child, if your child needs support that is additional to or different from the Quality First Teaching that all students at Callerton Academy receive.

If this is the case, teachers will be provided with information on how best to support your child in the classroom, through a ‘Pupil Profile’. This profile tells teachers how best to support your child, the interventions your child is receiving, what your child finds difficult and some information about them, too.  

Your child will also be assigned a Key Contact, who will be the main point of contact for both themselves and for you, should you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s SEN.

If your child has an Education and Health Care plan (EHCP), the SENCO is likely to be your Key Contact. They will be responsible for supporting your young person to achieve their outcomes.

The SENCO and Key Contacts regularly review the impact of support and intervention for your child. The governors fully support the school’s SEND policy and practice.


4. How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

You will have the opportunity to attend reviews, including annual reviews (if your child has an EHCP) to discuss your child’s progress and learning needs. In addition, you will also be able to attend Parents’ Evenings (including the Y7 Settling in Review). Teachers will also send postcards home to those students who are making good progress. On a more formal basis, your child will receive a report each term that details their progress and achievement in all curriculum subjects.


5. What support will there be for my child/young person's overall wellbeing?

The Pastoral Team, Family Support Officer and SEND team work closely together at Callerton Academy and your child will be supported by these teams as well as any appropriate outside agencies.


6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The school can access the following support services:

  • The Educational Psychology Service
  • CYPS
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Health


7. What training have staff received on SEND?

Staff in school regularly undergo training to support young people with SEND. This is flexible and depends on the changing needs of students at Callerton Academy.


8. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

SEND young people are invited to attend extra-curricular activities and school trips. Where appropriate, the young person, parents/carers and support staff are consulted on how to best support the child during the activities. Staff carry out risk assessments prior to attendance of any activities.


9. How accessible is the school environment?

Lifts ensure access to the first and second floor of the building. There are disabled toilet facilities and wheelchair ramps.


10. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

To meet your young person's SEN needs the school’s resources are allocated as follows:

  • Core provision from the core funding which is available for all young people.
  • Extra provision depending on your child’s needs, funded from the school’s notional SEN budget.
  • From funding resourced through an Education and Health Care Plan. If further provision is required, an application for top-up funding is made to the local authority.


11. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The SENCO, in consultation with parents/carers and previous educational settings, decide upon the most effective way to support your young person to maximise their progress and wellbeing. This support is flexible and reflects the changing needs of your child based upon regular and planned reviews. The SENCO analyses data on your child to monitor progress and impact of support.


12. How are parents involved in the school? How can I be involved?

We encourage open communication with parents/carers through a variety of means including telephone calls, e-mails, parents’ evenings and review days. Excellent communications between parents/carers and the schools is vital for effective support for your young person. The school welcomes information from parents that may help your child to make good progress.


13. What happens if my child is diagnosed with further additional needs?

The school may have received information about your child’s changing needs from external professionals. However, it is always advisable to ensure you share any relevant information with school so that they can assess what additional or different support is needed and put in in place as quickly as possible.


14. Who can I contact for further information?

Please email"> and address your email: FAO: Miss Sylvia Robinson